Phone: 303-731-6227
Toll Free: 866-604-2791

How do you modify spousal support in Colorado?

It's not uncommon for spousal support rulings in Colorado to have predefined end dates. For instance, the spousal support may end when the recipient remarries or enters into a cohabitation relationship with another person. A spousal support order may also end after a certain period, such as five years. Sometimes, though, one party may find it necessary to modify the support order before that termination date.

The modification may be necessary because the payer spouse has had financial troubles and is unable to continue payments. It could also be necessary because both spouses have determined that the spousal support is either excessive or insufficient and have reached an agreed to make a modification. In some cases, a court may order a modification because one spouse violated some terms of the agreement.

Whatever the cause of the modification, Colorado has a process in place for reviewing modification requests. The first step is to file a Motion or Stipulation to Modify or Terminate Maintenance request with the court. With this application, the applicant must submit any documentation that supports their request for modification or termination. That could include financial statements or even evidence of cohabitation on the part of the ex-spouse. This request must be notarized and also must be accompanied by a filing fee of $105. The applicant must also present a copy of the filed request to the ex-spouse so that they may have the opportunity to argue their case.

The court will then review the request and any supporting documentation within 49 days. The court could then either approve the request, approve it in some modified form or deny it. The court could also schedule a hearing to review the matter further. In that case, both spouse's and their representation would be present to make their cases for or against modification.

Source: Colorado Judicial Branch, "Maintenance & Alimony Forms", October 17, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact us now to set up a case evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Brand Footer

Centennial Office
6898 South University Blvd., Suite 110
Centennial, CO 80122

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Fax: 303-648-5874
Centennial Law Office Map

Denver Office
44 Cook St.
Denver, CO 80206

Map & Directions

Boulder Office
4450 Arapahoe Ave.
Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80303

Map & Directions

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Fax: 303-648-5874