Phone: 303-731-6227
Toll Free: 866-604-2791

October 2015 Archives

How can I protect my separate property in a divorce?

While you may hope that your marriage will last forever, it is a smart idea to put protective measures in place if you have separate property. A previous post discusses what the difference is between separate property and marital property, and how it affects the division of property at the end of a marriage in Colorado. However, you must often show the court that the property is separate, in order to keep it. This can be accomplished by tracking it.

How does separate property differ from marital property?

For couples who have made the decision to divorce, there are a plethora of considerations that they may have to take into account, such as child support, alimony and other divorce legal issues. However, property division can be particularly tough, especially for people who are not prepared or do not understand the property division laws in their state. As a result, it is necessary for people in Denver and throughout Colorado to familiarize themselves with divorce-related issues, such as the difference between marital property and separate property.

Abusers may use children against the other parent

Child custody is a difficult and sensitive issue in many divorces, but it may be especially challenging if domestic violence was present during the marriage. Domestic abuse is a problem that plagues millions of families across the United States, including in Denver. According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, over 10 million adults in America, men as well as women, are abused by their partners every year.

Requesting a change to a child support order

We at Frost & Beck PC see many occasions in which one or another parent of a child wishes to request a change to a child support order. Your life may be altered in ways that significantly affect your ability to carry out or live with the original agreement. Individual reasons may vary, but the State of Colorado states that one of two conditions must be met for the courts to consider an adjustment.  You must request at least a 10 percent change to the original dollar amount of the order. Alternately, you may wish the agreement to reflect a change in medical support.

What is innocent spouse relief?

IRS regulations hold both you and your spouse accountable for tax liability on a jointly filed return, even if you were unaware at the time that your spouse failed to report all eligible income. If you are seeking a divorce in Colorado and have filed a joint tax return, you may be held responsible for debt on underreported income that your spouse accrued without your knowledge. Innocent Spouse Relief can get you out from under a debt that does not belong to you, if you file the form and the IRS approves it.

Email Us For a Response

Contact us now to set up a case evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Brand Footer

Centennial Office
6898 South University Blvd., Suite 110
Centennial, CO 80122

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Fax: 303-648-5874
Centennial Law Office Map

Denver Office
44 Cook St.
Denver, CO 80206

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Map & Directions

Boulder Office
4450 Arapahoe Ave.
Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80303

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Map & Directions

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Fax: 303-648-5874