Frost & Beck PC
Call today to speak with an accomplished family law attorney.
Phone: 303-731-6227

Changing a last name after a Colorado divorce

When an individual gets divorced, he or she may be able to revert to their old last name. The issue is trickier when it comes to determining whether or not children can also take their mother's maiden name. Traditionally, children are expected to take their father's last name regardless of whether the mother is still married to that man.

If the father still has an active role in the child's life, it may not be something that a judge would approve. If the father is not active in the child's life or is abusive, a judge may rule that changing the last name is in that child's best interest. For older children, it may not make sense to change their last name if they have become accustomed to using it.

In cases where a stepparent is going to adopt a child, it may be worthwhile for the children to use that parent's last name. The easiest way to restore a maiden name is to include that right in the divorce decree. Granting minor children the right to take a parent's original name may also be made part of a divorce decree that is entered into the court record.

During a marital dissolution, there may be many issues that need to be settled regarding property division, child custody and other rights that each party may have. Those who are going through such a process may wish to consult with a family law attorney. Doing so may make it easier to settle a case as quickly as possible while minimizing the impact it may have on a couple's children.

Source: FindLaw, "Changing Your Name After Divorce", accessed on Feb. 3, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
begin a consultationbegin a consultation

Contact us now to set up a case evaluation:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Centennial Office
6898 South University Blvd., Suite 110
Centennial, CO 80122

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Fax: 303-648-5874
Centennial Law Office Map

Denver Office
44 Cook St.
Denver, CO 80206

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Map & Directions

Boulder Office
4450 Arapahoe Ave.
Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80303

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Map & Directions