Helping Parents Address Paternity Issues

Paternity refers to the status of being the legal father of a child. Generally, paternity is only an issue if the parents are not married, as the law presumes the husband in a marriage is the father of the child.

Our Denver Lawyers Help to Establish Paternity

Paternity can be established by agreement or by court action. One way to establish paternity is by signing a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity form; another way is to apply for child support through child support services, and the third way is through court action.

Paternity actions are filed in Juvenile Court. The Court will issue orders establishing paternity, child support, health insurance and parenting time and decision making. The mother can request that the father pays or helps to pay for the birthing costs.

It is important for a father to be involved in his child's life. Often, fathers do not understand that they even have rights to parenting time and decision-making. Additionally, fathers can request that their name be added to the birth certificate and for the child to have his last name. Mothers often think the father is not interested and fear asking for child support.

Even if the parents are getting along and working amicably to raise their child, it is important to have legally established parenting rights for both parents. The Uniform Parentage Act, C.R.S. § 19-4-101, et. seq., controls the establishment of paternity in the Juvenile Court.

The attorneys at Frost & Beck, PC will work with you in establishing paternity, child support and parental responsibilities in the best interest of your child.

Contact Colorado Family Law Attorneys Today

Call us toll free at 866-604-2791 or contact us by email to arrange a consultation with one of our lawyers serving Denver, Boulder and the surrounding communities today.