Frost & Beck PC
Call today to speak with an accomplished family law attorney.
Phone: 303-731-6227

Can grandparents petition the court for visitation?

If you are a grandparent in Colorado, it can be very hard if you do not get to see your grandchild. The relationship between grandparents and grandchildren is a special one and can have a great benefit for both the older and younger generations. Under certain circumstances, you can petition the court for visitation with your grandchild. Here is what you need to know.

According to the Courts of Colorado, you may not seek visitation with your grandchild or great-grandchild if the child is going through the process of being adopted. It will also not be possible for the court to grant you visitation if the child’s parents have had their parental rights terminated. In addition, if there was or is no court proceeding involving the child’s parents’ marriage status or custody arrangement, you will be unable to ask for visitation.

However, in the event that the parents have gone to court, you may able to petition to intervene in that action and request visitation. You may also be granted visitation if the parent of the child who was your child or grandchild is deceased, or if the child is being cared for by someone outside of the family.

In the event that the child’s parent who is your child has died, you may be eligible for visitation even if the child has been adopted or parental rights have been terminated. Unless the court otherwise allows, petitions for visitation may only submitted once every two years. This is information on this topic is general in nature and is not intended to be considered legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
begin a consultationbegin a consultation

Contact us now to set up a case evaluation:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Recent Blog Posts


#############getting infomation failed. is: 500 SSL upgrade failed: SSL connect attempt failed with unknown error error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure

Centennial Office
6898 South University Blvd., Suite 110
Centennial, CO 80122

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Fax: 303-648-5874
Centennial Law Office Map

Denver Office
44 Cook St.
Denver, CO 80206

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Map & Directions

Boulder Office
4450 Arapahoe Ave.
Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80303

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Map & Directions