Phone: 303-731-6227
Toll Free: 866-604-2791

Tips for those not receiving ordered child support

Parents understand that raising children can be expensive, so when a single parent's ex is not paying court-ordered child support, it can cause financial hardship. Colorado residents may be unsure of how to proceed and get their promised payments if child support payments have stopped due to negligence of the other parent or loss of work.

There are not many options for single parents who are not receiving child support, say experts. It can be especially difficult if the non-custodial parent is out of state or cannot be found, and wages cannot be garnished if the parent who is ordered to make child support payments is out of work. Those who do not make their required support payments can be jailed, but that still will not help those who are owed back support. The federal Office of Child Support Enforcement estimates that, in 2009, $108 billion in back payments was owed to parents. More recent figures were not reported.

Experts have a few tips for those parents who are owed child support. They are advised to not count on the payments, which means not including that money in the monthly budget. Open communication may be the key to working something out. The non-custodial parent can be encouraged to make whatever payments that he or she can, because every little bit helps. Finally, emotions should be kept under control since the parent who owes support may be more responsive to positive feedback.

When those who are owed child support have finally decided to turn to a family law attorney for advice, they may have questions on how to proceed with the enforcement of a court order. The attorney may be able to assist individuals in taking the steps necessary to receive back child support payments.

Source: US News, "What to Do When Your Ex Won't (or Can't) Pay Child Support", Geoff Williams, November 20, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact us now to set up a case evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Brand Footer

Centennial Office
6898 South University Blvd., Suite 110
Centennial, CO 80122

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Fax: 303-648-5874
Centennial Law Office Map

Denver Office
44 Cook St.
Denver, CO 80206

Map & Directions

Boulder Office
4450 Arapahoe Ave.
Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80303

Map & Directions

Toll Free: 866-604-2791
Phone: 303-731-6227
Fax: 303-648-5874