Denver Lawyers Educating On Child Abduction Prevention

There is nothing worse than the fear that your spouse may abduct your child, especially if your spouse is from another country. If the abduction occurs, children often suffer permanent emotional scars. The abducting parent feels desperate and generally has no idea how emotionally damaging this act can be on an innocent child.

There are steps you can take to help avoid a potential abduction. First, secure the child's passport. Second in Denver or anywhere in Colorado, file a petition for abduction prevention pursuant to the Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act, C.R.S. § 14-13.5-104. Third, contact the U.S. State Department and enroll your child on their passport alert system. Fourth, speak to an attorney for other measures you may want to consider.

Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act

This act sets out a variety of factors that should be considered in determining whether there is a credible risk of child abduction. It also addresses the special problems involved with an international child abduction. If there is a credible risk of abduction the court can order supervised parenting only, or issue a warrant to take physical custody of the child among other remedies to safeguard the child.

Risk Factors

If you are in fear of an abduction but are also worried that your fears may be overblown, review the statutory risk factors carefully, some of which are listed here.

The parent:

  1. Has previously abducted or attempted to abduct the child;
  2. Has threatened to abduct the child;
  3. Has recently engaged in activities that may indicate a planned abduction, including:
    • Abandoning employment;
    • Selling a primary residence;
    • Terminating a lease;
    • Closing bank or other financial management accounts, liquidating assets, hiding or destroying financial documents, or conducting any unusual financial activities;
    • Applying for a passport or visa or obtaining travel documents for the respondent, a family member, or the child; or
    • Seeking to obtain the child's birth certificate or school or medical records;
  4. Has engaged in domestic violence, domestic abuse, stalking, or child abuse or neglect;
  5. Has refused to follow a child-custody determination;
  6. Lacks strong familial, financial, emotional, or cultural ties to the state or the United States.

To discuss your domestic or international custody case with a family law attorney at Frost & Beck, PC, call us locally at 303-731-6227 or toll free at 866-604-2791, or contact us online.